- Generating Monthly Income
- Your Retirement Investment Goal
- Basic Investing Strategies
- Managing Your Retirement Investments
- Tax Rates
It is your responsibility to manage your portfolio, both before and during retirement. It is important to track how your investments are performing, to keep an eye on results, and to determine if your portfolio needs to be modified.
Monitoring Your Portfolio
Here are some tips to managing your portfolio:
- Keep an eye on results. Monitoring the performance of your investments is the key to maintaining a healthy portfolio.
- There are pitfalls of trying to time the market. Prudent investors realize that the market will ebb and flow like the ocean tide. Ride the waves and you'll likely see your money grow in the long run.
- Follow your fund's performance. Don't make the mistake of investing in something and then ignoring changes in the business climate, the investment itself, or changes in your own life that would make it wise to sell. You should review your portfolio thoroughly every year, or when there are other circumstances that might prompt a review such as a shortening of your time horizon, changes in tax laws, a significant decline or rise in the stock market, or a significant change in the price of a stock or bond.
- Avoid following the market too closely. Try not to watch all your investments fluctuate on a daily basis. Remember that a good portion of your portfolio is invested for the long term, so don't move your money around constantly in an effort to stay ahead of the market.
- Don't get into more investments than you can monitor. To diversify fully, you may be tempted to own so many investments that you do not have time to follow them all carefully. Remember that, sometimes, less can be more. Make your portfolio only as complicated as you can easily handle.
Securities and advisory services are offered through LPL Financial (LPL), a registered investment advisor and broker-dealer (member FINRA/SIPC). Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union and Mint Wealth Advisors are not registered as a broker-dealer or investment advisor. Registered representatives of LPL offer products and services using Mint Wealth Advisors, and may also be employees of Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union. These products and services are being offered through LPL or its affiliates, which are separate entities from, and not affiliates of, Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union or Mint Wealth Advisors. Securities and insurance offered through LPL or its affiliates are:
|Not NCUA Insuredor Any Other Government Agency||No Credit Union Guarantee||Not Credit Union Deposits||May Lose Value|
The LPL Financial Registered Representatives associated with this site may only discuss and/or transact securities business with residents of the following states: NJ, PA, NY, DE, AZ, MI, FL, MD, TX, VA, GA, NC.
Financial Learning Center content created by TrueBridge, Inc. The information provided is based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. The content contained herein is intended for information and illustrative purposes only, should not in any way be construed as a personal recommendation, and should be used in conjunction with individual professional advice.