- Pre-Funding the Cost
- Your Pre-Funding Strategy Depends upon where You Are Now
- Monthly Investment Program
- Your Investment Objective
- Understand Risk
- Basic Strategies
- How Is Investing for College Different from Other Investing?
We strongly recommend that you consider pre-funding the cost of college by following these steps:
- Determine the amount of money you want to have saved by the time your child is ready to start college. This is determined by what you can afford, how much of the total college cost you want to fund, or both.
- Determine the monthly investment needed to complete the pre-funding program.
- Invest this monthly amount in an appropriate investment vehicle (see the section Investment Vehicles).
- Don't stop making the monthly investment until the last tuition payment is made sometime in the senior year of college.
This pre-funding strategy spreads the cost of college over a long period of time instead of waiting until the child begins college and incurring the cost over an intensive four-year period. This strategy helps you maintain your lifestyle in light of the college costs that are expected. It also enables you to benefit from the growth of your capital offered by a long-term investment program.
Securities and advisory services are offered through LPL Financial (LPL), a registered investment advisor and broker-dealer (member FINRA/SIPC). Insurance products are offered through LPL or its licensed affiliates. Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union and Mint Wealth Advisors are not registered as a broker-dealer or investment advisor. Registered representatives of LPL offer products and services using Mint Wealth Advisors, and may also be employees of Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union. These products and services are being offered through LPL or its affiliates, which are separate entities from, and not affiliates of, Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union or Mint Wealth Advisors. Securities and insurance offered through LPL or its affiliates are:
|Not NCUA Insuredor Any Other Government Agency||No Credit Union Guarantee||Not Credit Union Deposits||May Lose Value|
The LPL Financial Registered Representatives associated with this site may only discuss and/or transact securities business with residents of the following states: NJ, PA, NY, DE, AZ, MI, FL, MD, TX, VA, GA, NC.
Financial Learning Center content created by TrueBridge, Inc. The information provided is based upon sources and data believed to be accurate and reliable. The content contained herein is intended for information and illustrative purposes only, should not in any way be construed as a personal recommendation, and should be used in conjunction with individual professional advice.